A Rich History of Singing Tradition
Founded in 1967 by the City of Adrian, the chorus soon named Dr. Art J. Jones from Adrian College its Musical Director. He remained in that position until his retirement 25 years later. Lenawee Community Chorus (LCC) formed an alliance with Adrian College and was named its Chorus-in-Residence. The alliance remains today and the Chorus is extremely grateful. The Chorus established an Endowment Fund that remains in effect today. See support section to see how you can participate.
Since then, other past directors have included James Allen; Thomas Dettbarn; Frederick Wilson; Dale Smith; Todd Barnhart; Todd Prickett; Dr. Julie Skadsem; Dr. Thomas Hodgman; Dr. Brian Altevogt; and Karen Nevins.
Enjoy the sounds of the chorus
People well beyond Lenawee County have enjoyed the concerts, which have included major classical works and short selections.
The Chorus has collaborated with the Adrian College Choir for many performances. Your whole family will enjoy the affordable concerts, led by their current Artistic Director and Conductor David Ripper.
The Chorus performs two concerts a year - Spring and Christmas concerts.
Special events over the years
- July 2008: Participated in the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympics
- December 2008: Celebrated 40th anniversary
- April 2009: Performed at Hill Auditorium on the University of Michigan campus in Ann Arbor
- December 2009: Performed a concert with the Adrian Symphony Orchestra
- May 2010: Performed the Mozart Requiem with John Rutter at Carnegie Hall, New York City
- May 2011: Performed at Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C.
- May 2018: Performed at the Kennedy Center and during the Memorial Day Parade in Washington D.C.